Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oh naive me!

I have to admit that I had no idea I was public property.

I really wasn't aware that politicians had a say in deciding what I could wear, what I could drink, what time I would be allowed to show my face in public...

And I certainly didn't expect that if I failed in meeting their demands, they could hit me with impunity.

You have got to see it to believe it:



Now that I am wiser, I expect no one's going to spend a jail term for this attack. Only we women will end up self-imprisoned in our own houses because the world is increasingly unsafe.

Meanwhile, instead of distancing themselves from the violence, this is what people who I now realize are my masters had to say in support of the attackers:

"It is not good for a young woman to go to a pub.” Bijoya Chakravarty, BJP’s national vice president

“India is not Europe. Mushrooming of pubs is not part of the Indian culture.” Manju Kumar Majumdar, Communist Party of India state secretary


Well I hope it is Indian culture to wish painful lives and painful deaths to certain people. Coz I am certainly going to indulge in it.

No comments: